Professor Bo von Scheele welcome you to this website!
Biopsychosocial medicine: A very brief working introduction, information
First some wisdom to be meditate on:
In integrating some of Hippocrates thinking in a concentrate version: “A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses and everyone has a doctor in him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food and walking should be our medicine while Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against Nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear!
Then my basic paradigmatic postulate valid for all I write/say: We do not have (can rely on) absolute base knowledge! If we believe education mediate/supply the truth and nothing but the truth, we have misunderstood most (basic epistemology). Knowledge can have different degree of certainty but all of us base our thinking on individuals` personal (and groups interests) paradigms. At the same time common ”effective” sense is often enough in real world, e.g. cross the street! See e.g. Summarized of the paradigm used by Bo von Schéele | Biopsychosocial Medicine (references coming)
Followed by specific clinical focuses I have based my work on:
“Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime” (could be from Lao-Tzu (https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/28/fish/) is the point of departure for my clinical work and below some details – the manual is called “patient as an educated reasonable competent resource and coworker in own rehab” But “If someone wishes for good health, one must first ask oneself if he is ready to do away with the reasons for his illness. Only then is it possible to help him.” (Aristotle)
One thing more before moving on; at Toward development of a guide facilitating knowledge and practice-based use of human Limbic systems information processing in general and health care services in particular | Cultural Medicine also titled as “Evolution of human brain: What happens during last 300.000 years of complex interactions with other parts of our brains evolved during earlier parts of our evolution?”May also result in above all modify definitions of psychology .. within and between (human related/associated) disciplines as well as “psycho” in the definition of “biopsychosocial medicine” – something which also will be work on a head …
First now my “message” at this website:
Most of our activities are based on a biopsychosocial medicine paradigm (Engel, 1977 – see also paradigm/definition at this website) where applied psychophysiology has a central position for the advancement of an integrated approach for life style medicine. That is, how individuals´ ways to life their life including their personal historical life style conditions, influence their health development as well as their quality of life. As we understand more and more of the possibilities to influence our gene expressions the above becomes increasing important. We do not yet recognize a growing interest from politicians, community officers, and other citizens for a development of a more lifestyle relevant medicine.
There are a number of reasons where many do not even know what biopsychosocial medicine is, is one! Another is the visible and not very visible, sophisticated control profit interests still manage to make “real” in the eyes of politicians and the rest of us – or?
Our goal is
1) To further increased scientific theoretical and empirical work within (biopsychosocial) life style medicine including complex systems analysis facilitating (a) differential diagnostics of life style related diseases/problems as well as identify early risk factors and develop (b) further development of multifactoral transdisciplinary nomothetical and ideographic research designs which also can be used for a priori predictions in clinical work.
2) To develop effective educational, methods/ways to communicate knowledge and related “tools” for individual to by (own) self care improve their life style related health at biological, psychological and social levels which can be validated in “1” above
3) To provide focused educational projects and formal educations at all levels of significance for individual and organizations interested in improvement of their and others health using a biopsychosocial medicine paradigm and perspective.
4) To inform political and social systems about how social-political-cultural behaviors are crucial for creating contextual prerequisites for improvement of peoples´ life style related health development
5) To try to provide as solid as possible biopsychosocial integrated information from different field of concerns for life style related health development, e.g. nutrition, motions, breathing, cognitive-behavioral and social strategies, in a time where information overflow easily disperse unsureness which in itself constitute a problem for individuals and societies.
To provide individual independent of knowledge and educational levels of basics concerning life style related factors/behaviors which influence development of health, unhealth and disease – as well as how they can implement it according to their prerequisites and possibilities. This is done preferentially in group education where individuals gradually find their ways during supervision of well-educated and experienced providers.
To develop a human and artificial intelligence based reference library which document the above (as well as other life style related educational interventions) to over time construe a interactive data base system which can be used for research as well as recommendations for clinicians and individuals
To provide the above on a non-profit basis
-> More info and summary of the Swedish pages will be presented here soon! For info mail to email@example.com
Bo von Schéele, Ph D, professor